HAPPY MOTHERS DAY
Okay, yesterday was Mother's Day, but I'm still feeling happy. In fact, Jack and I celebrated the day almost exactly as we do every day - every day as a family feels like mother's/father's day to us now. The one exception was that I got my major wish granted - cleaning the garage. Vanessa graciously napped from 2-5 so I could do that.
Last week, redheaded niece Corey asked me my thoughts on motherhood. I'll post them here:
MOTHERHOOD
Oh, Lord, niece, what can I say? I love it. I wrastle with it, sure, but in general it rocks. I have to point out the problem areas, but I think that's just so I don't sound so saccharine sweet people can't stand to be around me.
I love, love, love cuddling my toddler. I love, love, love that she enjoys being with me and is wanting to share everything about her new world with me. I love, love, love that I have the opportunity to do this - be a mom - after so many years of realizing it's not a right, it's a privilege. And of course I love sorting out the "how's" and "why's" of parenting decisions with my beloved husband. It's a new wing of our marriage and it's not disappointing either of us. In fact, I love that we discuss things and have - so far - always agreed on how to parent this adorable child.
Hmmmm. I could go on and on and on about motherhood.
The downside, in a nutshell, is that I get tired, nobody tells me I'm doing things correctly, and I can get absolutely nothing else done besides being a mom. Not such bad complaints, are they?
A week ago Daddio and Nanners and I hosted Seattle friends Sarah and Andrew. This week, we road tripped to L.A. for a track meet. A picture is worth a thousand (or more of my) words...
Daddio, Milo and "Uncle" Chris took Sarah and Andrew for a beach hike while Vanners and I exercised Max at the park.
We think we own our little park. We sure do draw attention. Bright, white Max is perhaps the biggest crowd pleaser, with his decidedly canine ways.
Andrew, a college soccer player, did have a little time to teach Vanessa a few modest soccer drills, like dribbling, and pass-and-go. I'm sorry we don't have her best moves on video, but suffice it to say Andrew was very impressed. No headers yet, but we feel confident VH1 will do fine with them, considering how um, ample her target is.
The Curly Hair Club. Everyone should be so beautiful. They smile so because they know their hair always looks fabulous. Don't be jealous.
Sarah and Andrew had to go home, but we were so happy to get them for even a short visit.
We Seattle defectors have carried on, inhaling the California life with great gusto. See Nanners here, showing Daddio that no slide is too big for her. We were at the Avila farmer's market, on the beach. She likes the slide. She loves the swing.
And here is Van sharing her burrito with her Best Guy. This is perhaps my all-time favorite one-minute video. Hear "Uncle" Chris in the background with me. Our little carnivore's cheeks are stuffed with shredded beef, but she had clearly hit the eating wall.
We have fun around here. Can you believe it? I have many more photos and a couple more video clips from our weekend in L.A., but I think I'll post those separately. I never dreamed life with a toddler could be so silly and fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment