Sunday, August 02, 2009

WE HAVE A SON!


Yes, the baby shower thank yous were not even written and the tie-dye onesies not yet washed when Nicole called to say that "something was happening." That was Tuesday night. We set the alarm to get up and drive to L.A. first thing Wednesday morning, but baby Keenan couldn't wait.

We got a call from Nicole at 4:00 a.m. that went like this: "Mary? huh-huh-huh-huh-huh. I'm in the car huh-huh-huh-huh-huh on the way to the hospital! huh-huh-huh-huh-huh THE BABY IS COMING." And then we got the call that he had arrived, before we had left the driveway.

Baby Keenan Jackson Hoyt was born at 4:20 a.m. on Wednesday 07/29/09 at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance in Room 316. He weighed 5 lbs. 3 oz and was 18 inches long. The cord was wrapped around his neck, but he was born with excellent APGAR scores. We met him when he was 4 hours old.


When I said, Room 316? Well that's an easy number to remember, thanks to the bible verse, Nicole and friend Alice looked up John 3:16 and read, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Nicole said that moved her greatly.



Keenan has dark brown hair that looks like a fur coat and feels like heaven. Jack said, "I'm going to rub a bald spot on his head, this hair is so soft I can't help touching it." Keenan was pink with red feet, dark blue eyes and a dimple, but he's getting tanner by the day, his feet still look like skis but are not so red now, and we think he'll have brown eyes soon. His hair looks "wrinkled" like Vanessa's did at birth.


He sleeps, eats and voids like a champ. We took him home on Friday - a 6.5 hour drive with traffic and pit stops - and he didn't cry once. Vanessa and I sat in the back seat and each held one of Keenan's hands as he slept.



Quotes from Vanessa:

"Baby Keenan makes me a big sister."

"Oh, he's so cute, and he has curly hair, like me."

"I'm so happy!" Why? "Because I have a baby brother!"



Vanessa was very excited to hold the baby and cried heartily when she had to let go. The first night home, Vanessa made up a couple little songs about being happy and sharing. She said they were for her baby brother, Keenan.

Keenan settles to my touch and voice. He even smiled for me when I sang to him.




Birthmom Nicole is doing very well. She is gracious and insightful, even through this emotional time. Sister Zoey and Grandma Debbie were present, as was our international house guest, Fleur, and several of Nicole's best friends. Nicole is a blessing to us.

Please pray for God's peace, trust, and wisdom for both Keenan's birth family and adoptive family over the coming days as we finalize this adoption.


2 comments:

  1. As I sit here with tears in my eyes I am reminded once again that love is the most powerful gift of all. Blessings on your new family Jack and Mary- Vanessa couldn't look prouder - and Nicole, thank you for the blessing you are to the extended Hoyt family and friends. Welcome Keenan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C. Brown10:08 PM

    Congratulations. A bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete