Thursday, July 19, 2007





SWINGING AND CRAWLING AND GROWING HER HAIR

Last Friday Daddio and I had a rare evening together, so we bundled up our little progeny and headed to the beach. We landed at the Avila Farmer's Market and boy, did little Miss Vanessa have a ball. She was a big hit, too, as every other person stopped to smile and chuckle at her. She was stuck to her Daddy's chest on the Baby Bjorn with a big grin on. Her tootsie roll arms were straight out to the sides, flapping, and she pointed her little monkey toes downward while she rotated her ankles. Quite a sight!


We put her on the kiddie swing and she laughed and laughed. I keep saying she's a thrill seeker and no zip line or roller coaster is going to keep her happy enough. I only wish I could post an audio clip of her giggles.



Nessers was very intrigued by the pier, all the people on it, and the sea creatures down in the waves. She giggled at anyone playing - kids on the beach, otters in the water, people on swings. But the rest of the time she was all business, taking it in.



Quite by accident, she sampled her first pizza! The little gipper got her stronghold grip on one of Daddio's slices when he wasn't looking and CHOMP: into the mouth with both hands it went. I'm so sorry I didn't get a photo of Vanny double-fisting a slice of 'za. Don't worry, though, nothing was ingested, just gummed.


Since Daddio is working 23 hour shifts this week at his summer camp, VanNestle and I packed up and shipped out to visit Granny at her home. We also made a VIP visit to Sophie, who prayed her socks off for me for years even before she ever met me. Sophie said I don't know how many rosaries for me to A. live and B. have a baby. She is now in the nursing home at the tender age of 90 with some ominous health problems of her own. It was time to introduce her to this miracle baby and remind us all how God can answer our prayers with a phat "Yes!" even when it seems impossible.

Taking Vanessa into the nursing home was a little like having Glenda the Good Witch of the North visit. Every single person lit up and stopped to coo at her. I'm thinking of taking her on tour. When Sophie met Vanners, she said, "This is our baby!" So true. Auntie Anne has said it as well. Vanessa is a community baby and Jack and I are merely the lucky caretakers.


Baby Nannerkins was also able to see some of her other Prayer Warriors this trip. She met "Auntie" Gerri and "Uncle" Paolo, Sophie's son. They are family to us and clearly were family to Vanessa. Later, Granny commented that Gerri handled Van like she had already had ten children of her own. Paolo bounced Nessa on his knee during dinner (what Daddio calls The Witching Hour), then later told me he *never* holds babies less than a year old. Ha! Vanny was putty in his capable hands!

Prayer Warrior "Grandma" Liz made a special trip to see her little Nessa. We were able to drop Liz off at home and see her husband, the dashing "Grandpa" Bill. Vanessa had been screaming in the car all the way to their house, but was all smiles and coos once I plunked her onto Bill's lap. "She's never seen a Grandfather before," I explained. Nessa examined him very carefully. He didn't seem to mind one bit.


When she's not meeting and greeting her peeps like the Party Girl that she is, Ness is hitting her development milestones. In the one week since she last saw Granny she started to crawl. It's all backwards right now - we put her down in one spot and she ends up across the room, stuck with her behind up against something. Last Saturday we began monkey-proofing our house, not a minute too soon.


Yesterday morning Granny said, "Why your hair has grown longer overnight! I can see it growing right now!" When it gets wet it curls up. We're still not exactly sure what color it is but it is basically light brown with a great deal of red and gold in it. "Carmel" is the color Auntie Susan called it.

It's funny, when I was bald I prayed, "Please, God, please let me grow wild red hair like Corey and long dark eyelashes." Now I can imagine my father nudging God at that time, saying, "Tell her 'Yes,' but put it on a daughter!" That would be so like my dad.









No comments:

Post a Comment