This has been a great week for us all in many ways. School started for Jack so he was very busy, worked seven days this week, and worked past 7 pm four days in a row. This has been a big adjustment for moi, since Jack was home by 4 pm all August and September. Other than feeling excessively disenchanted with the couch and newly addicted to eBay infant clothing auctions, I am doing much better. In fact, I was able to venture to Home Depot last week and ride their motorized shopping cart to select citrus trees for our back yard. That was a big day! Also, today we took Milo to Avila beach and I actually hoofed it all the way down the stairs. While there, we saw a huge school of dolphins and seals batting about large fish like a National Geographic special. I get out about once a week.
September 28th was our 15th wedding anniversary. Jack had a team meeting that night, but he came home to make us dinner. Athletes Danielle and Bridgette stopped by bearing gifts commissioned by Jack - a bouquet of fresh flowers from the farmer's market, some special almonds, and fresh tiramsu. We flipped through our wedding album with them, showed them some wedding video, and opened the day's eBay packages. A welcome evening of socializing for this couch dweller.In general, things are feeling much less dramatic and scary. I've not had an emergency trip to the hospital in weeks. Jack stopped waking up with a start every time I flip over in bed. The bleeding and barfing is tapering off. My energy is much improved: this week I found I am able to stand the entire time I brush my teeth, and I stood for half my shower today. In fact, Jack and I are taking bets on how soon I'll be upgraded from strict bedrest to limited activity - maybe in two weeks. More importantly, our daughter kicks, kicks, kicks - which I just love. Also, I find myself modeling a range of emotions as I belly laugh so hard I launch epic coughing attacks and find myself bawling at random things like a Billy Idol video, a clutch Seahawk touchdown, and of course those DHC baby delivery shows. I've only very occasionally contemplated throwing myself off the couch, but never gone through with it.

As I type this, Jack is bathing the salt and sand off Milo and singing his own happy lyrics to Strangers in the Night. The sunsets have been spectacular, likely due to the ash in the air from the Ventura fires. I am wearing new clearance maternity togs from Old Navy, recently ordered from my perch here on the couch. I feel so human, after months of sporting Jack's tees and pyjama bottoms. Danielle and Bridgette had to see me lying flat on my back on the floor to appreciate how Jiffy-Pop my belly really is. I measure 44"- 44"- 43" so I'm basically a barrel. When I catch sight of myself in the mirror, sitting hunched over on the edge of our bed every night, I can't help glancing at Jack to say, "Grape Ape. Grape Ape." I really do look funny pregnant.
No comments:
Post a Comment